Sunday, January 27, 2013

Painted Pin Ups!





Hello my little shipmates!!



Your Captain Cherry here with a lovely segment called ‘Painted Pin Ups', little monthly posts where Lolita and I gush about pinup art work and give a little information about the artists that created them. I would first like to introduce you to Hilda. She is the fun loving red headed full figured gal that I have come to love as of late. I remember a few months ago becoming aware of her through a mutual friends facebook page and found myself enamored with her image. She seemed like so much fun, a girl that I would love to hangout with, I never got that feeling from other Pinup artwork but this lovely lady seemed more like a friend. After learning about this ball of fun and beauty I was naturally interested in the artist that created her, that’s when I found the man behind the voluptuous beauty, Duane Bryers.



Bryers was born in upper Peninsula of Michigan in 1911 on a farm with three brothers and two sisters, he later moved to northern Minnesota and left in 1939. He started drawing cartoons like he saw in the funny pages when he was five and then by the time he was older was never with out a sketch pad and paper. Bryers big break of sorts happened  in 1936 where he painted a mural in a high school in Minnesota which is still considered a historical treasure. This big break paid Bryers way to New York where he studied Art, in 1943-1946 while in the air force Bryer’s realized a childhood dream and created a comic strip called “Corky” (this is where he earned his bread and butter as a commercial artist). Later he began painting the Hilda collection in the mid 1950’s, He got the idea of a plump pinup girl, but worried how to sell it. He then took the idea of the series to the top calendar sellers in the country of the time Brown & Bigelow (now this company worked with nearly eveyr pin up artist of the era!) where the series went on for 36 years. Later in 1959 Bryers moved to Tuscon Arizona and started painting scenes that he considered ‘America’, beautiful renditions of the landscapes he seemed to love.



Hilda to me embodied not only beauty but the corkyness of pinup art that we all love, she is fun loving and really a barrel of laughs. There are many favorite prints to choose from when it comes to her images, my personal favorite is the one of her walking into the water with an umbrella holding a rubber floating doughnut in the other arm with the word ‘flour’ on her derriere. Her images just make you smile and you can't help but think that she is just having a really good time, Lolita said “she looks like she laughs a lot” and I would have to agree with her. She seems like the kind of gal that people gravitate to because of her endless lust for life and fun, the kind of girl you would love to have a few drinks with. Never have I felt this kind of strong happiness or elation to a pinup image, she is not just an ornament to be ogled she is a girl that does things. Hilda is a mover and a shaker, she fishes, sails, reads, dose chores, paints and is just so active. She is a woman that gets things done and doesn’t just sit around looking pretty. If anything as a plump beauty myself she is someone I can look up to in pinup art, a full figured girl with class and just enough cheekiness that makes her memorable for the ages. Please enjoy some this loveable dame's images!





 





Thank you for reading my lovelies

please comment below on a different

 artist you would like us to talk about

and as always keep it classy!

1 comment:

  1. I love the last one! Lol. If I could fall asleep like that I really would.

    ReplyDelete