Monday, December 10, 2012

Rockabilly T-shirt DIY




Hello my lovely ship mates!!!
It is I, your friendly neighborhood Swag Queen, Cherry, with my first attempt at a tutorial. Bear with me you gorgeous D.I.Y. babies, this is my first try, and I promise I will get better with time.
First of all, I am calling this “My Boyfriend’s T-shirt” because I didn’t actually buy these shirts, no, my Honey took care of that already. If you are like me, you have a guy with great tastes in t-shirt prints, or you see an over-sized men’s t-shirt that you absolutely cant live with out, or he is throwing that great shirt away, then this is for you. Now, first you have to save the shirt from being thrown away, like me. I rescued a few shirts so there will be more tutorials coming.
Here is an ever so easy way to turn that Boyfriend’s T-shirt into a cute sweetheart neckline tank top for those casual days! So here are the A.B.C’s  on how to make it!
What you will need:
  • A T-shirt
  • Pins
  • Tailors chalk
  • Sowing sheers
  • An Iron and Ironing board 
Step A:
  • First you want to take apart the shirt at the seam’s to survey how much material you have, basically taking stock of the surface space you have to work with.
Step B: 
  • Next, take the side with the pattern on it, or the front, and mark the pattern you want. I did this using tailors chalk. (If you don’t trust yourself to do this free hand then you could use a pattern from the store as long as it is fits on the short space.)
Step C:
  • Here I marked the back of the pattern.
Step D:
  • Here I took a peace and marked the facing for the sweet heart neckline.
Step E:
  • Here I cut the ever so important straps.

 Step F:
  • Here I sowed the straps together using my trusty sowing machine I named “Trudy”.
Step G:
  • Here I put a safety pin at one end to better turn the strap inside out so wrong sides are facing and the seam is clean on the outside.
Step H:
  • This is what they look like after you turn the seams inside out.


                          Have a break at this point trust me
                                                                     your nerves will thank you! 

Step I:
  • Here I pinned the facing I cut out to the neckline.
Step J:
  • This is where I added the straps to where I want them to hit me on the top front.
Step K:
  • here I drew a line so you know where to sow.
Step L: 
  • Here I pressed the edges down.




Step M:
  • Here is where I marked the back strap to the facing in the back. (Okay this is rather tricky because you have to feed the strap through the bottom in order to have it flush and not sown on the wrong side, I assure you this is not the right way to do this but it was the way I was taught LOL! So I suggest a little trial and error, which I had to do to get it right)
Step N: 
  • After that is all squared away, sow the side seams and you are all done. (the beauty about jersey material is you don’t really have to finish your seams at the hem because it does not fray!
That is something this lazy girl loves!
The Optional step:
  • This is purely something you can to at your own leisure; I gathered the neckline just at the bust to further promote the sweetheart neckline.
 And here is the end result!!


No comments:

Post a Comment